Fostering a Sense of Belonging Within the Workplace For All People
Our model (see diagram) provides educational support to organizational leaders and their staff teams. We consult with leaders and begin our work together with a foundational leadership module, geared towards your business. As our model suggests, we then adapt each workshop, consultation, and/or audit to fit the unique wishes and demands of each organization.
In meaningful organizational change, leaders champion and model the way. Before offering workshops to staff teams, the leadership module provides leaders with interactive self-guided learning that overviews key concepts and issues that limit a sense of belonging in communities. This also provides opportunities for reflection on organizational processes, practices, and policies affecting workplace culture.
We then meet with leaders to debrief their learning and discuss specific workshop needs moving forward. Following the staff training, consultation is once again provided where future goals related to professional development and organizational change can be discussed, and any questions or concerns can be addressed. Our goal is that our support is merely the beginning to workplace growth on these topics, and this consultation is an opportunity for us to help you identify and create a plan for how you want that to look like in your business.
In this self-guided module, leaders reflect on themselves and how they lead and champion belonging in their organizations. Leaders complete a series of activities designed to deepen self-awareness around implicit bias, identity, power, and privilege, as well as how these concepts intersect and affect their own and others’ experiences, perceptions, relationships, and sense of belonging. Following successful completion of this module, leaders will be able to:
- Identify the human nature of implicit bias;
- Describe the important role identity plays in human experience and worldview;
- Explain how power and privilege is determined in different environments;
- Discuss their role as champions of belonging in their specific organization;
- Assess the current state of their organization in facilitating belonging;
- Suggest changes-to policy, procedure, operations, and customer/client interaction-based on a consideration of identity, power, and privilege-that could enhance organizational belonging.
The module is emailed to leaders and CSC is available to support throughout. CSC follows up with a one-hour consultation to discuss module learning and application, and discuss/share ideas for workshop development.